Wednesday 16 January 2013

Over viewing the group - fonts for the crews roles

Below are four fonts that Tom has chosen to feature the roles of our crew members. Tom's next step will be choosing a suitable colour for our font and experimenting with the size of our font.

Our chosen font: Yummy Cupcakes

Yummy Cupcakes: Although I am not fully satisfied with this font it is still my favorite one out of all the ones chosen. I am really happy with the fact the letters don't connect as I feel this makes it easier on the eyes and allows the comedic genre to shine through due to this looking rather immature like Teddy. My favourite thing about this font is how compatible it looks with our other chosen font. I feel they work together to convey the narrative and transformation of Teddy throughout the story as the first is scruffy, representing him being inexperienced ,and the second is straight and precise, representing him once he succeeds his mission. 

(as seen in this mock up created by Tom they compliment each other perfectly.)
This text also seems that it would appeal to a male audience due to it not being curly or too feminine which is a bonus as this is our target audience. This also successfully conveys the theme of identity to our audience as it looks like the perfect handwriting for our protagonist. The one aspect I am not satisfied with is the fact it looks extremely similar to our main title font which I fear will withdraw attention from the title and claim some of its significance. Hopefully this wont be a problem once it has decreased in size and has a transition added to it. 

The great escape: This font looks to professional and since it is being positioned above a font which already has a professional appearance it wont have the same connection to the narrative or the transformation of the protagonist. By using this font it isn't indicated to the audience that our protagonist is an accident prone spy which would mean we have failed to meet our intentions for the font. 

King cool kc: This font looks overly stretched and when the size is decreased for our titles I think it would appear out of place due to it looking like we have squashed the font. I think this font is also to bold which gives it the appearance of marker pen writing which would seem more suited for social realism film for example. I also think this font adds nothing to our title sequence as I cant see a connection between the font and our narrative,genre or themes.

Passing notes: I think this font is rather decent but I think the main attraction is the letter 't' due to it mirroring a crucifix, which obviously isn't appropriate for our titles as religion isn't a theme in our film. Again, I feel this font is to bold and would withdraw attention from our titles which is clearly a negative. I personally really like the different scales of the letters as I feel it adds a more personal touch to the font and represents Teddy's clumsy personality very well due to it being uneven. This fluctuating scale also conveys the feelings of unease Teddy will be feeling throughout the film due to the loss of his grandmother and the fear of loosing his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment