Thursday 24 January 2013

Journal 24/01/13 - Foley sounds

Being the foley sound co-ordinator it has come to my attention that our sequence is in need of sounds in order to boost the excitement aspect of the sequence as it is lacking enthusiasm. Even though we have added a soundtrack to our sequence we still hope to add some foley sound in order to engage the audience and add more depth and realism to the sequence. Four main parts of the sequence I have specifically focused on for foley sound is the bird poo scene, the coin toss,the water gun and the coins dropping. The reason for this being that they are significant scenes which have a deeper meaning thus it is important they are emphasized as much as possible.

Bird poo scene: I intended to add a squelch sound which would mimic the splat of the bird poo as it contacts the shoulder of our protagonist. The reason I wanted to add sound on this clip is because it represents Teddy's life becoming dull and miserable once his Grandmother passes away (His life turns to poo.)

The coin toss: I wanted to add a high pitched ping noise to the coin as it flips to signify good luck and also show precision which will represent the plan to stop the bank robbery from happening in the narrative. For this sound I had to experiment as I couldn't get the sound right and I believe to do this we will have to layer the sounds to create one sound. As seen in my previous foley sound video I hit a glass with a metal knife which let off a high pitched noise, I also dropped a coin from a distance onto tiled flooring which let loose a ping sound. I think these will be the perfect sounds to join together to make the perfect coin toss.

The water gun scene: This sound was more tricky as I experimented with many different sounds to mimic the perfect water splashing sound but none turned out how I expected. Various methods I tried include tipping water on glass, splashing water in a sink and dropping water from a distance on concrete. Again, to make the perfect sound I think we will have to layer the sounds.


The coins dropping: This sound was the simplest as it just consisted of me dropping coins onto the pavement, however I did experiment with the quantity of coins to see which had the better sound. It was important to add sound to this clip as it conveys to the audience that Teddy is simple minded and not very intelligent, it also represents the theme inheritance. Also as we are unable to see the coins fall to the floor due to the number of frames per second the flip camera runs at it is important to have the sound so the audience are aware of what is falling from the suit case.



  Props used:



No comments:

Post a Comment